Many people have asked me how my trip was. That's a loaded question. It was really hard and really good. I love everything about Uganda, but there are two little kids that make me love it even more. Due to some turmoil that I can't talk about, I was not sure that I would get to see those kids. I have been praying for 6 months for a miracle to be able to see them. I have also had some sweet friends pray for this miracle for me. I packed my suitcase full of things for them and asked God for a miracle. I knew it would be hard to be so close and not be able to see them.
On May 17, 2013 I woke up early. Something in me told me to check my email. When I did, I had a message from a college student at the place where Marvin lives. The message said that Marvin had passed away a few hours before. I was in shock and thought it must have been a mistake because Marvin wasn't even sick. I called my friend Damalie in a complete panic early and told her about my email. She called the place where he lives for me and called me back a few minutes later to confirm that it was Marvin. She said she was going to go to the place where he lived to be with the pastor and his wife. I told her I was coming with her.
The student who wrote me the email gave me his phone number. I called him and asked him to please get Hellen on the phone and let me talk to her. A few minutes later my phone rang and when I answered Hellen said three dreaded words, "Marvin is dead". She asked if I was coming, and I told her I would be right there. I got my team to the place they were supposed to be. They could not have been more wonderful through all of it. Then I headed to the place where Marvin lived with my friends Becca, David, and Damalie. Damalie is one of my heroes in life. She kept telling me that, "God has you in Uganda for this purpose. He loves you enough to bring you here and let you be a part of this. He knew you needed to be here" She was right. As terrible as it was, I was so grateful that I was in Uganda and got to be a part of his burial and meet his family. I remember thanking God for including me and for letting me sit there with his family, as part of his family.
We went to the orphanage where Marvin lived and learned what happened. He was bitten by a dog in March. The dog barely even broke the skin, and the nurse who examined it thought it was just a scratch. There was no treatment available in his area anyways. In the beginning of May, he was sick and treated for malaria and got better. No one thought much of it. Then on May 16th, he got really sick, really fast. I will spare you all the details because, but he died quickly and unexpectedly. His cause of death was determined to be rabies.
In Uganda, you bury people on their land. So Marvin's family was preparing for the burial at his mother's home. I know you are wondering why he lived in an orphanage if he has a mother. The mother was not able to care and provide for them and lives in extreme poverty. By living at the orphanage, they were able to go to school and have basic needs met.
I rode on a boda boda (motorcycle) to this little shack where Marvin was from. Hellen came out to greet me. Even then, I was so thankful that He made a way for me to see her! It was so wonderful. She took me into their house where her mom was sitting. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but when I walked into the house Marvin's little body was laying there. I am praying for some kind of holy amnesia to forget that image. I was a little nervous at this point when I realized that I had no idea what his mother thought of me and if she even knew who I was. And I realized that there were a lot of people staring at me and wondering who this white person was and what I was doing there. I was thankful to have my friend Becca with me.
Marvin's mother could not have been more wonderful to me. She took my hand and started saying all these things in Lugandan that I did not understand. David translated for me and said she was saying "Thank you. I got to sit with her for a little while and then David prayed for us and we got out of the room where Marvin was. Later David would tell me that she was telling me thank you for loving Marvin and for taking care of him when she couldn't. She knew who I was because she had seen pictures that I had given Marvin and Hellen. I had always prayed for a way to meet his mother, now I have a relationship with her.
I went outside and spent some time with Hellen. We stood over the place where Marvin was going to be buried and I still couldn't believe it all.
As tragic and devastating as the whole situation was, being with his family and getting to be a part of everything brought so much closure. God knew how much I loved Marvin and that I needed to be there. I could see His hand in so many of the details of the timing and I'm so grateful that He orchestrated all the details to include me. And in a way completely different than I had anticipated, I got to see my two kids. The day ended and I found myself thanking Him over and over for allowing me to be there.
It was the day of rest for our team (again God's perfect timing) and we got to check into a beautiful hotel on the Nile River. At sunset, I was standing near the porch and this beautiful deer started walking towards me. I knelt down and this deer put his hoof in my hand. Instantly, I started recalling all the times in scripture where it talks about a deer. I think of the verse, The Lord God is my strength, and He will make my feet like hind's feet, and He will make me to walk upon mine high places. Habakkuk 3:19. I think about that book I love so much called "Hind's Feet on High Places." It's a wonderful story about overcoming sorrow, surrendering our own agendas and trusting that He is the Good Shepard. It's a story of how a believer is transformed from suffering to walking to the high places of joy and freedom and peace. If you haven't read the book, it's one of my favorites! And as I'm looking at this deer, I'm remembering all I have learned about the character of God from reading this book. And I'm reminded that He will give grace and strength and lead us to the High Places. And that is exactly what He has done. I'll write that part tomorrow.
4 comments:
I'm so sorry Courtney. I know how much you lived Marvin. I could feel it from just the way you talked and the way your eyes lit up when you talked about him. Praying for comfort...
Loved not lived ... This is why I shouldn't try to type important things on my phone.
I'm so sorry Courtney. I know how much you lived Marvin. I could feel it from just the way you talked and the way your eyes lit up when you talked about him. Praying for comfort...
Courtney~ I'm Britney Anderson's Mom, Lisa...the one who took some photos for you last year when I was in Uganda of precious, active little Marvin! Our missions director, Tina Weir attended his funeral as well. I know how much you loved Marvin and I know the impact you have had on he and his family...and will continue to have! Perhaps I can visit with her when I return there in July. Meanwhile I am praying for your heart to be lightened as you imagine Marvin dancing around the throne of God, whole, healed and free. Blessings abundant to you!
Post a Comment