Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Part 2

The next morning I wake up with this beautiful view of the Nile. A friend had texted me Psalm 18:33 He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights. David wrote this Psalm after being RESCUED from his enemies. Little did I know, our team would see and talk about God as a rescuer for the remainder of the trip.

At breakfast we were all talking about how beautiful the Nile was and how significant it is in the bible. When I got back to my room, I read the story of Moses being placed in the Nile. To refresh you, Pharoah had ordered all Isrealite males to be thrown into the Nile at birth and drowned. Moses's mother hid him for 3 months and then decided to place him a in basket to float down the Nile. His sister, Miriam, hid and watched as Pharoah's daughter found Moses and decided to keep him. Then his sister Miriam asked Pharoah's daughter if she would like a Hebrew midwife to nurse the baby. So, Moses's mother is hired to nurse her own son who is now living in Egyptian royalty.

As I set there and thought about all of those details and how everything so perfectly worked out, I was reminded of the sovereingnty of God. He was in control of all of those details, because He was planning something big. Turns out later that God answers the Isrealite's prayers for freedom through Moses. And then my mind drifted back to Marvin and I realized that the same One who worked out all those details for Moses, worked out details for me, and Marvin's mother, and Hellen. Even though the outcome wasn't life for Marvin, I was assured that He was at work. I was suprising myself by the amount of peace and even contentment that I had one day later, and I knew it was God given.

Three days later (again His perfect timing), I was on stage with some teenage girls who were teaching me a dance to a song. The song was called "I am not forgotton", and as I danced with these girls I thought of that verse that says You have turned for me my mourning into dancing (Psalm 30:11). I am not able to discuss a lot on this blog due to the nature of orphan care, but believe me when I say that God allowed me to be a part of something so much bigger than myself. I got to see firsthand the miracles happen that I had been praying for since last year. And this happened as a result of being at Marvin's burial that day. So I got to see how God used Marvin's short life to bring freedom and healing to many. One of the people I got to talk to again and form a relationship with is Marvin's mother and that in itself was such a blessing.

Just like Moses's story, Marvin's death and life that came out of his death happened because we have a God whose thoughts and ways are so much better than we can imagine. There's so much peace that comes in seeing and trusting in the sovereignty of Christ. I don't want to give the impression that I am completely healed from what happened there. In fact, coming back to America and going back to work has been much harder than I thought. It will take time, but I look back at all that happened and I can just see His hand at work through it all. And, I have seen that He is, "able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or imagine, according to the power at work within us."


No comments: