Saturday, May 05, 2012

Yes, people got sick. We bathed in cold, dirty water. We worked with kids with HIV. We ate weird things. We brushed our teeth with bottled water. We threw our toilet paper in the trash because it can not be flushed there. It was really hot. We did not have air conditioning. We were around people with malaria, tuberculosis, and HIV. I did not feel really clean while I was there. And, it was a wonderful trip.

But, when I think about my trip I don't think about things I had to go without or things that were out of my comfort zone. I think about how my life was forever changed for the better. I think about how I got to see the heart of God and fall more and more in love with His character. I think about the love and peace that comes from serving the poor. I think about those little orphans that I fell in love with. I think about what I learned from people who have nothing but live in so much gratitude. I think about what I learned about trusting God and living in dependency of Him. And in light of all these things, a cold shower is worth it.

Maybe, its like a mom meeting her baby for the first time. People always want to ask questions related to the uncomfortable part of the birth. "Did it hurt?" "How long were you in labor?" etc. But, when you hold your baby for the first time, your life is transformed by the love you have for this child. There is so much joy in what you just experienced. Yes, it was uncomfortable at times but this baby was worth every second. You don't dwell on the discomfort because you are experiencing love in ways like never before.

The statements above are all answers to questions people have asked me. They show the fear that many people have about traveling overseas. I try to remind myself that God is faithful to his promises and He promises to sustain us and protect us. He is bigger than all the fears that we have. He is more than enough, Trust Him to protect you and sustain you and go serve overseas. Your life will be forever changed for the better.

1 comment:

KJ said...

AMEN! It's amazing when we say that we believe God is sovereign yet we don't live like it. If He tells us to go to the other side of the world to serve the poor then we ought to go and trust Him. Or if He calls us simply to go to the poor part of our town and serve them, we ought to go! We know that whatever comes our way is for His glory AND our good. What an amazing thought that is.

And just to back up what you were saying about childbirth...
"When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world." - John 16:21

Love you courtney! We miss you!

PS - Any chance you'll be heading over to Africa permanently?