Thursday, April 12, 2012

I can't sleep (again) so it is time for another post. Day one- we arrived in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia after a very long flight from Washington DC. We checked into the Ethiopian guesthouse and then went to our first orphanage. I was told that upstairs there were babies- so I set off to find them. I walked into what looked like a little african NICU. Then I glanced over and saw a little girl laying on the floor with the worst case of hydrocephalus that I have ever seen. Her name was Elsie. She looked so uncomfortable and was just laying on the floor grimacing, She was so pale. One of the ladies on our team was laying on the floor bedside her. She started talking to her and massaging her head and arms. Her tears were falling on Elsie's face. The rest of us in the room are trying to hold back tears as we are watching Andrea'a heart break as she loves on this little girl. She was whispering things in her ear and at one point I heard her say "You are loved." Andrea's response to Elsie was such a powerful moment of what it means to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

We were able to go back to the same orphanage another day. This time Elsie was laying in the bed. I suggested that we get her out and let Andrea hold her. She sat in Andrea's lap for most of the afternoon. She looked so comfortable. I don't think she is held much there. It was neat to see how she was so comforted by touch.

I think Jesus used Elsie to teach all of us something. It was hard for me to know that her condition could have been treated in America. There is no such thing as a VP shunt in Ethiopia according to the people there. We know God has a purpose for her life and we were thankful to be a part of it.

No comments: