
There was a clinic bedside where we were staying in Uganda. One of the workers at Canaan's found out that I was a nurse and told me that she would give me a tour of this clinic. The clinic was more like a hospital. People spent the night there and they also had a labor and delivery room. The nicu nurse in me secretly hoped that I would get to attend a delivery. I wasn't called to any deliveries :), but I did get to know a patient there. When I asked her what her name was she said something that I could not understand. It sounded something like Hope, so I just called her Hope. She was 6 years old and was in the hospital receiving treatment for Malaria. Everyday she would come out of the hospital and sit with me on the stairs. I'm not sure where her parents were, but they were never with her. She sat and watched all the other kids run around and play, but she was not allowed to because she had an IV in her hand. One night I was sitting on the stairs with my phone in my hand and she started looking at my phone. I opened one of the games that some kids downloaded on my phone and let her play. It was the first time I had seen her smile. So for many nights, I sat on the stairs and let Hope play games. She also did Facetime with me a few times. She didn't speak English very well so there wasn't a lot of communication, just smiles when I would go see her in the hospital. By the time we were leaving, the nurses there told me that she would be able to go home in a few days. I hope she is at home and doing well now. I miss my little visits in the clinic with her!
this is labor and delivery :)


1 comment:
She's adorable! So glad you got to go on this trip! Thank you for posting your stories too...May God get much glory from this!
Post a Comment